Quality Matters Standard 6
6.1 The tools used in the course support the learning objectives or competencies.
6.2 Course tools promote learner engagement and active learning.
6.3 A variety of technology is used in the course.
6.4 The course provides learners with information on protecting their data and privacy.
Alignment occurs when course components are consistent with your learning objectives, so that materials, activities, and assessments work together to ensure that learners are achieving the stated outcomes. Technologies chosen should support students in achieving the course and module objectives.
- Consider how technology tools will further or support student learning versus choosing a tool because of its features or novelty.
- Choose UA supported technology tools, which could afford students stronger privacy protections.
- Use a consistent set of technology tools throughout your course versus multiple tools that achieve similar results.
- Use technologies that provide opportunities to interact with you.
- Choose technologies that provide opportunities for students to interact with each other.
- Choose technologies that provide opportunities for students to actively engage with the content instead of passively absorbing information.
- Use a variety of technology to avoid a text-based only course, and, when feasible, provide students with a choice of method to interact with content.
- Include a statement/links about how students can protect their data and privacy.
- Provide links to privacy policies of external technology tools.
Your course should facilitate learner access to institutional support services that are essential to learner success. See Course Quality Checklist and Toolkit 7 – Learner Support for more information.
See our other Course Quality Checklists for more information:
- Standard 1 – Course Overview and Introduction
- Standard 2 – Learning Objectives (Competencies)
- Standard 3 – Assessment and Measurement
- Standard 4 – Instructional Materials
- Standard 5 – Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
- Standard 7 – Learner Support
- Standard 8 – Accessibility and Usability
The University of Alabama College of Continuing Studies | Adapted from Northern Illinois University Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning 6/27/2020 | © 2014 New Mexico State University Board of Regents | Quality Matters https://www.qmprogram.org | Revised 4/14/2021